Credit: Persian Cookery Course, EdinburghCook
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g Bulgar wheat
- Grated zest of an orange
- A large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 250ml hot chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
- 8 Chicken thighs, preferably skin-on and bone-in
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Pomegranate seeds, optional to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Put the onion and aubergine in a bowl with the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bulgur wheat, orange zest and half the chopped parsley.
- Tip into a roasting dish/large le creuset, which is big enough to hold the chicken pieces in a single layer.
- Pour over the hot stock, then lay the chicken pieces over the top, skin-side up.
- Drizzle the pomegranate molasses all over the top, use the back of a spoon to spread over the chicken skin
- Put the lid on or cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes
- take the foil off and cook for a further 30 minutes
- Chicken should have a nice colour after this point and the bulgur will be tender
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds if using and the remaining parsley
- Serve directly to the table and enjoy