Honeyed parsnip and lentil Soup
Hearty Soups are a must for January and the veggie box came with a bag of parsnips this week. This is a warming earthy soup where the honey takes the sharp taste that you sometimes get with a boiled parsnip.
Credit: The Edinburgh Cook Recipe File
Prep: A heavy based soup pan to hold more than 1.5 litre.
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 450g root veg (3 parsnips and a carrot) chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 250g red split lentils
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 1.5l Vegetable stock
- Whilst your chopping the veg soak your lentils, I weigh the lentils and then add 250g water at same time. Not essential I just find they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the oil and add the onions, celery, garlic and rosemary, gently sauté until the onions and celery soften
- Add the spices and turn over
- Add the honey and coat the onion mix
- Add the root veg and stir through
- Add the stock and the lentils
- Simmer gently for 25-30 mins with the lid on, stirring every so often
If you like a smooth soup, blitz with a hand blender or mash and stir through