We recently came back from a weeks camping and on the route home we popped into the supermarket in order to pick up some staples for the working week a head. Armed with zero recipes and preparation on my behalf the sweet potatoes called out to me.
This makes a nice hearty soup with left overs for the freezer for those mid week school nights.
Sweet Potatoe and Lentil Soup
- Large Onion
- 250g red lentils
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes (400g tin size)
- 2 tbsp bouillon
- 1.2l boiling water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled crushed/chopped
- Glug of oil
- Wash the lentils and then soak in 300 ml of water
- Dice the onion, and add to the oil in a pan, soften
- Add the garlic and stir in
- Stir in the Bouillon
- Pour in the boiling water, and then pour in the lentils with its soaked water
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into rough bite sized pieces, add to the pan
- Add the tomatoes
- Bring to a simmer for 20 mins or so
- Choice here to make smooth or rustic, I used a Potatoe masher for rustic or you can use the hand blender for smooth. The choice is yours!